Pages

Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Covid-19 -- People


After returning to Portland on March 13th, Joanie and I have pretty much spent all of our time, like most everyone else we know, staying at home. One of very few exceptions is that I have walked city streets taking pictures. I’ve focused on four locations, always wearing a mask, and staying ten-to-twelve feet away from other people. Because of social distancing, I’ve abandoned the Leica Q camera I most often carry and am using a Fuji xt3 with a 18x55 zoom lens. I usually stand a few feet from individuals when I take their portraits, but of course Covid-19 makes that impossible – thus the change in gear.

Last week I had a conversation with a photographer for whom I have deep respect. Like myself, he makes photographs on the streets and situates himself very close to the individuals he portrays. He told me that he hadn’t been shooting on the streets. First: because of the stay-at-home order and the possibility of transmitting the virus; but also, because it was so different on the streets than it was in pre-virus days. While I understand and am totally appreciate his decision, I’ve made a choice to take pictures. And I must say, shooting during Covid-19 is very different for me than it was in the past. Unlike one of my teachers, Peter Turnley, I am not photographing the horrible price people are paying because of the virus, nor the heroic efforts of other individuals who are putting their lives on-the-line helping those who have the disease. Rather, I’m shooting people who are out walking, maybe going to a grocery store, and on some occasions individuals who are living on the streets of Portland. A dozen images are displayed below:









































No comments:

Post a Comment